Sunday, June 24, 2012

This Post May Make me Unpopular Part Two

Have you ever caught yourself mid-judgement of a fellow woman?  I strive to keep my thoughts about other people very positive; you never know what struggles life has thrown at them.  My post Unpopular: Part One centers around acceptance, so why do I find some female behavior so disturbing?

I'm all for women embracing their singular sexuality and sensuality.  What could be a more feminist philosophy than accepting and revering that which makes us female?  We should be proud of our bodies and unafraid of displaying our confidence. 

But, when does that confidence shift to a need for attention?  I applaud women confidant enough in their appearance to wear figure enhancing outfits.... and find absolutely nothing wrong with showcasing the beauty of the female form (there are so many amazing shapes and sizes out there).

For the past week and a half I've been working out at various gyms on a military instillation.  Army bases often post dress code guidelines of appropriate gym apparel. For example, sports bras may not be worn alone and shorts must provide adequate coverage. Regardless of location, on a military base or in the civilian world, most women I have observed generally dress in the range of modest to tastefully sexy when working out in mixed company. It fills me with pride to see women of all ages, shapes and sizes looking strong, feminine, sexy, confidant and powerful on the gym floor, on the track, in a spin class, in a yoga studio, etc.

One of the functional gyms (Crossfit oriented but very adaptable to my style of fitness) on the fort has quickly become my favorite.  I feel incredibly comfortable there and enjoy all of the equipment.  At night, it tends to house a younger crowd looking to impress (hey,,,, we've all been there at some point in our lives).  I've noticed Crossfit girls in trendy little outfits frequenting this gym.  I truly find them adorable and am impressed by their fierce abilities (I'm talking about multiple muscle ups), but sometimes these same girls feel the need to "cool off" by tying their tanks up under their sports bras and folding their short shorts down past the hip bone. Shortie shorts are fabulous.  I own and wear a few pairs, but I DO NOT DEADLIFT IN THEM!!!!  I HATE to be a critical person, but every time I see this behavior I roll my eyes.  What looks good for a photo shoot does not necessarily translate into an ordinary day at the gym.

It is human to seek approval and enlightening to revel in confidence, but when does pride in your feminine appearance shift to pleas for attention?


8 comments:

  1. haha okay i couldn't agree more! save the booty shorts for at home ;)

    i found your blog through the blog hop :) happy monday!
    xo hannah / 17inheart.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can believe this, in the hospital where I work (a Level One Trauma Center / Academic Medical Center associated with an Ivy League College), had to re-issue a very strict dress code because (for some unknown reason) the younger 'crowd' didn't understand the wording in the original dress code. We'd have CNA's / LNA's (Nursing Assistant's) showing up to work with tiny little tees way up beyond the midriff, showing off their belly rings, and then they'd wear their hospital provided scrubs rolled way down below the hip bones. Seriously? On what planet would that be normal attire while caring for the ill? One certainly isn't going to impress Mr. So & So in the Critical Care Unit on the ventilator while adequately sedated. I think it was the young Residents they were going for.....my thoughts were....."what fools". So that comment may make me unpopular, too. But c'mon. There are just some things that don't need to be formally addressed if one has common sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you kidding me? At a hospital? Um.... yea.... this falls right into the category of painful cries for male attention :(

      Delete
  3. Glad to have you, Hannah! Heading over to say hello at 17inheart.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post, I am now thinking about all my trips to the gym on post ;-)

    www.msmommyhh6.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't agree more. I'm new follower from the the Monday Mingle. Can't wait to read more of your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy to be linked up with another military spouse!! I think when women in the gym are practically naked they are seeking attention, haha! To each her own I guess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigh... I know... the gym really doesn't get THAT hot causing us to lift our shirts or just remove them completely! LOL! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete