Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Pullups and Pink Polish

I can rep out about 10-12 non-kipping ( kipping is a functional move using momentum to propel your body) pure strength pullups.  Am I proud of this accomplishment?  You betcha!!!  Do I head over to the pullup bar to intentionally demonstrate my feminine prowess?  Absolutely not!!! 

A random woman's negative comment at my gym inspired one of my favorite "Cave Princess" taglines . . . "Pullups and pink polish". 

It all started with a Sunday at the nail salon.  I had been generously treated to a mani/pedi and chose a pinky red color for both (OPI Dutch Tulips-very pretty and classy).  Monday morning, still in love with my gorgeous manicure, I donned a bright pink sports bra- totally embracing the femininity my nails inspired.

Normally Mondays are reserved for working my glutes.  I'm not a fan of my butt and dedicate an entire workout each week to specifically lifting those particular muscles!  This Monday, however, I chose to do a little CrossFit workout to jump start my motivation for the rest of the week.  The workout consisted of a warm-up, followed by 40 pullups/40 pushups/40 kettlebell swings/40 dips/40 frog sit ups .  Nice challenge.

In the middle of my workout my IPod died!  Sucks.  Drains the motivation.  I didn't want to lose my stride and potentially mess with my workout time, so I left my earbuds in and kept going.  Two young, very pretty, very lean girls walked past me as I completed my last round of pullups.  One of the girls commented to her friend, "Who does she think she is?  Doing pullups in her pink polish. . ."

At first the comment stung.  After all I am a human being and therefore a social creature; it is natural for me to want to be liked.  As I finished my workout with some foam rolling (post to rave about that coming soon) and stretching, my attitude shifted.  Her comment actually made me smile. 

You know what?  Yes!  I do pullups in pink polish, and I love that about myself! 


Me post work out today with my favorite sports bra and pinky red nails.  Isn't my hair so gorgeous after sweating for over an hour?  Pullups and pink polish.

Recently, I was introduced to Zoya - a toxin free line of polish and nail treatments.  This is the brand of my choice when doing home manis/pedis!

Thank you so much for reading!  Since I am a social being please come "like" my Facebook page Cave Princess for more tips, recipes and motivation!

Here is your recipe . . .

Meat and Veggie Chili:  I purposely made this recipe large, so that you can freeze the leftovers (a great strategy from the post Time Saving Suggestions !

2lb ground pasture- raised turkey, pasture- raised chicken or grass-fed beef (or mix)
1/2 cup onions
2 cups zucchini
2 cups mushrooms
2 cups red or green peppers
3-4 cups stewed tomatoes (just cook some tomatoes up in a skillet with a touch of coconut oil until they begin to break up in your pan)
2 T unsweetened cocoa or carob powder
1 T garlic powder
1 T chili powder
1-2 tsp cumin
1 T cilantro
dash of salt to taste
2 T white vinegar
3 T mustard (yellow tastes best- I like "Annies" organic yellow mustard)
* If you normally add brown sugar/sugar to your chili and you're looking for that touch of sweet to counter the savory think about a little maple syrup (100% pure maple syrup)

12 comments:

  1. This blog makes me smile! ;) Boo for the beezies in the gym - they have NO IDEA how hard it is to do a correct pull up! I am P-R-O-U-D of the 3 non kipping pull ups I can muster up, let alone 12, you are hot lady! xoxo, Courtney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three... girl you are on your way! A trainer at my gym challenged me to a pullup competition. He wanted me to "show up" another (male) trainer. I got 12- my competitor 13 or 14. The challenge certainly got me stronger. Thanks for commenting! P.S. You're looking pretty hot, yourself! :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the follow! Wow that is impressive that you can do that many pull-ups! My husband and I do P90X together and I'm still working on my pull-ups! I love your blog, we have very similar interests. I'm always trying to find ways to keep healthy habits a top priority in our family!

    <3 Maribel

    http://alltangledupinknots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep working on those pullups. I've done a P90X workout before... the pushup/pullup DVD is no joke. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the follow, and the wonderful comment. I cant do any pullups, I just joined my hubbie in Insanity with Shawn T, its a powerful workout, I am determined to do the 60 day plan. I am a follower now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for the follow...... My brother swears by Insanity! I tried a few of the workouts with him. Ummmm... Yea... wicked! Don't you get such a feeling of satisfaction crossing off each day your working towards your 60 day plan??? Good luck!!!

      Delete
  4. Nothing wrong with being feminine and strong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my motto!!! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  5. Hi! New follower from the life with twins blog hop! Holy cow.. some people are so rude!! Clearly they were not there to work out! Good for you being able to work past it :)

    Would love for you to link this up at my friday link party going on now! And a follow back if you like my site too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, Thank you for taking the time to stop by! I am on my way over to TheGrantLife.com !

      Delete
  6. Hi there!! Found you via your comments and the Aloha Blog Hop! :) Thanks for stopping by my blog - I love your love for pink!! :) xoxo
    Nikki from Nikki at Bedazzles After Dark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nikki,,, and thank you for visiting me :) Yes,,, pink is very important to this house of three girls (plus a little female Norwich Terrier)!

      Delete